Wednesday, April 4, 2007

WICKED!

I was just going to go scout out the theatre where it is playing, but when I arrived people were streaming through the doors and I thought "lets see if they have any tickets left." And oh! they did! Mine was 'obstructed view' which really meant that I was right behind a little barrier over one of the entrance ways, so if you slouched back and tried to watch you wouldn't be able to see much, but if you leaned forward you could see the whole stage-without any pesky tall people in front of you. I ended up sitting next to two other girls who were also seeing it for the first time and who had also memorized the entire sound track. We were a little giddy. And it was good! And it makes so much more sense now! And the costumes: the chorus costumes were inspired (and you know how picky/snotty I get about costumes) They had waist-coats and vests and bustles and ridiculous colors and fabrics and lots of feathers and flounces. It was great.

Now, Andy and Nancy: I have been thinking for, like, three years now that they both died in the end and they *don't?!!* I don't know how I feel about that. I think I kinda liked it better when it was so very very tragic. Though this does explain the missing scarecrow.

Off to make dinner and read Thud 'cause I never read it in America and I kinda liked the British cover, so I bought it.


Extra points today go to this guy who had clearly just gotten to London and was switching trains at the Westminster stop. He was so excited, it was really cute:

"Wow!! They actually say it, guys! She actually said Mind the Gap!!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Nancy & I saw Wicked in New York, there was a definite anti-Bush vibe to it. Which makes some sense because the show was developed right after the Dixie Chicks episode.

Did you notice any of that subtext in the London production?

Anonymous said...

I see you are living in postcode NW3 5DX. I used to live in NW3 7NT. Are you aware that NW3 is one of the most prestigious postcodes in the UK? Or did you even know that there are prestigious postcodes?

I was told (in 1977) that property in NW3 sells for more than property across the street in NW7.

There was even a parody of "Anarchy in the UK" by the Sex Pistols -- the parody was called "Living in NW3" by Johnny Rubbish. Here's a link:
http://www.answers.com/topic/anarchy-in-the-u-k

Unknown said...

OK, THAT was a bit of trivia that I wouldn't know!

Thank goodness that Andy is looking out for you!

Pa

Casitareina said...

I'm honored to be staying in NW3. But no, of course I didn't know there were prestigious postal codes.

I didn't notice and anti-bush vibe at all, but they *did* say "Uni" when reffering to the Shiz. I've been thinking about it and I think there are a lot of parallels between Aida and Wicked. At least at the end in any case, where the new female leader who had been totally superficial becomes a better leader because of her involvement with the doomed lovers. (I'm still preffering to think of Elphie and Fiyero as dead.) Also, have you seen Coyote Ugly? Not the best of movies, but the lead guy in that was the fellow playing Fiyero.

Anonymous said...

Try googling on "prestigious postcode". Or read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_postal_district.