Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Visa Situation

I decided last week that I really ought to look up what the requirements are for my next visa so that I *know* and am not just relying on heresy and rumour. While I am glad to have a more solid conception of what I need to do, I also discovered that I need to triple my current income in order to stay in this country past 2011.

So I'm developing a number of plans in order to make that happen. I might need to leave teaching and find a desk job, or I might need to find three other schools who'd be willing to hire me for full days at my current rate of pay. Currently I'm moving forward on both fronts. I have a dinner meeting with a friend of mine tomorrow to talk about the company that he works for and what he thinks about it. I have talked to my headmaster about other schools to approach and talk to and he has promised me a reference and told me to drop his name as much as I please. Also at the Kid's school today the director asked me if I would be interested in teaching more levels of musicianship next year. So that is excellent and definitely a step in the right direction.

There are options and possibilities and I'm going to find some way to make this work. Yup.

All of this might change anyway- as I understand it the newly elected Lib-Con government is less immigrant friendly than the Labour party was, so we'll see what happens in the next year or so.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Ugh you poor thing, visa stuff suuuucks and I want you to stay here as long as possible with me!!!