Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

So, I realized that I missed Easter in London by, like, and hour- but it is still Easter in the US which makes the title apropos.

I spent all day today in various churches (except the hour or two when I watched the BBC version of Jane Eyre and then fell asleep). Latana was in a quartet at an Anglican church in Notting Hill this morning. Unfortunately it was very very cold, and, in fact: snowing. So it was less of a spring time celebration than usual. Pretty much everyone just kept their coats on during the service.

Latana sang very well, though the quartet was oddly matched in terms of voice types and so didn't blend well which irritated my overly educated sensibilities. It was really nice to finally hear Latana sing though. At the end of the service I went up and talked to the organist because the organ looked cool and I wanted to know more about it. This turned out to be a mistake as he then talked without taking a breath for over 20 minutes.

This evening Peter McCarthy had an Easter Vespers gig at St. Anne and St. Agnes- which is a Lutheran church in The City that didn't get bombed during WWII (which is impressive.) It's a charming space and they always have phenomenal music. Because it is so close to GSMD, students are frequently featured during their lunchtime concert series. The choir quintet for Peter's gig blended perfectly so I had a blissful time listening to them rehearse and then again during the service itself. It's always nice to see Peter- he is going to lend me a baroque bass to play with/on during the summer term. I'm looking forward to that.

Supper ended up being a giant dance party with various singers and myself and a large pot of rice.

Happy Easter!

(May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Easter(es) be white....)

No comments: