Monday, October 8, 2007

Repetitive Conversations

One of the really lovely things about living in London and going to Guildhall in particular is that there are so many international people around. It's really neat, and I've been having a ball meeting new people and talking to them. However, the conversation inevitably degenerates into this:

"Oo! How do you say this word?!"

Which really can be fun at times- like last night when my flat mates and I were all congregated in the kitchen. You have to remember that Patrick is an actor and therfore is madly in love with accents. So he was speaking French to Latana (who was getting more and more mixed up because it really isn't fair to switch languages back and forth like that on a person)and Moises was following mostly and I was sitting there going "Matin! I know that from Frere Jaques! It's, like, morning, right?" So then Patrick moved on to his NYC Queens accent, which is remarkably good- so I had to teach him Southern Californian Valley Girl. Then general mocking of American accents began and we started writing words out phonetically to see how they are different. Have you ever noticed that City is pronounced sih-dee? I hadn't until it was pointed out to me.

Anyhow, we have decided to watch Pan's Labyrinth later this week as a flat because we all want to see it and it is in Spanish, so Moises won't get confused.

My first real class is tomorrow. Actually, I have two tomrrow, but they are in the same room so I don't know that that really counts...They are "Introduction to group dynamics, motivation and individual and group learning" and "Into to Module 1: Foundation for fundamental skills" So woo hoo! I get to start school finally!

Today I finally bought pots and pans (From Argos, a catalog shop, have I described it yet? I don't remember- anyhow- you look things up at a station with a catalog, write down the number you want, pay for it at the register, and then pick it up five minutes later when they bring it out to the front. Not so good for seeing things before you buy them, but lovely for cheapness and handiness.) And chatted with Lisa Dery from Student Services. I had missed the international students meeting for some reason or another, so I wanted to make sure that I was able to get the inforamtion that was give out then.

I had really just a lovely chat with Lisa and now have even more paper with which to clutter up my room! So that is fantastic. I also delivered the chocolate to the Professional Development office and made an inquiry about whether or not the school could help me pay for the rental of the bass that I'm borrowing from Malcolm. (of course it has a case, guys. I wouldn't have dared to a: take it on the tube or b: take it around rainy rainy London without one.)

So I'm beginning to get my stuff together (I've even started scoping out job websites, though not actually applying for anything yet. Maybe once classes start and I don't have a whole day in which I could either get important things done or stare at a wall saying "why on earth aren't you getting all of those important things done Casey?!" Because inevitably I choose the latter.)

And that is long enough for one entry.

No comments: