Monday, February 1, 2010

Singing Lesson

I had my first singing lesson with Jilly today. (That's Ella's mum for those of you who don't know.) It was super fun and excellent. We are working on using my voice properly and freeing it really, making sure that I can make a big, relaxed sound so that when I'm teaching my tykes I can model good singing habits. We geared the lesson specifically towards my teaching which was great because it immediately felt useful. This did mean, however, that I spent the majority of the lesson sitting on the floor (learn how you mean to use the skill, right?)

The mechanics of singing are just fascinating- we worked with relaxing my jaw and accessing different parts of my voice and different techniques to bypass various physical and mental blocks. The muscles involved are, for the most part, small and not readily visible (what with being down your throat) so they way that you teach and learn singing is basically by metaphor (and then, of course, by the sound that you manage to produce.)By the end of the lesson my voice was HUGE. And I'm not going to lie: I'm pretty pleased with that. At this point what I feel I most need to get a handle on is breathing and how to do that properly and efficiently. We're having another lesson next month when she comes back down to London again. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: