Thursday, September 18, 2008

My neighborhood

So, there are a *lot* of Hasidic Jews in my neighborhood and being the curious type- I thought I would read up a bit and learn more. Wikipedia supplies this little bit of information:

"The vast majority of Hasidic Jews live either in the United States or Israel but there exist large communities in Montreal, Britain (mostly in Stamford Hill) and Antwerp also. Hasidic Jews are known for having large families and as a result are experiencing tremendous growth."

My neighborhood is mentioned specifically! Also, the 'tremendous growth' bit explains all of the baby carriages and small boys in striped shirts riding around on bikes.

And this explains why all of the women pushing prams have suspiciously straight, dark brown hair:

"Sheitel (Yiddish: שייטל, sheytl m.sg., שייטלעך, sheytlekh m.pl. or שייטלען, sheytlen m.pl.; Hebrew: פאה נוכרית‎) is the Yiddish word for a wig or half-wig worn by Orthodox Jewish married women in order to conform with the requirement of Jewish Law to cover their hair."


In other non religious sect news- Peter dropped off my baroque bass today which I am very excited about. I pick up the rest of my stuff from storage on Saturday and then I can finally finish moving in! It will be grand. I still love my neighborhood, am starting to make headway on various goals for the year, and have been strutting around in my new yellow coat. It is lovely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was surprising to me that your keyboard could print the hebrew letters in your blog. Wonderful to hear from you. Love G&G