Sunday, September 30, 2007

I'm so tired...

We did a bunch of shopping today, which is good because now I have some silverware and a couple of plates. I don't have a can opener yet, nor any hangers. But I'm getting closer to having an actually stocked kitchen.

What I do have (and this is really key) is an alarm clock! Which is orange and cost one pound and that my Mommy bought for me while I was having a bit of a nervous (sleepy) breakdown. Isn't she wonderful and amazing?

We started the shopping somewhere up by the Angel tube stop at a street market that was just beginning to open. It was fun to see all of the booths being set up and to realize that these are actually fully functional stores that just happen to be nomadic. I couldn't think of any sort of comporable thing that I've seen before. I'm used to street booths like that in NYC, but they don't sell anything decent there- just designer knockoffs, which is I think why I was so suprised to figure out that being in a market booth didn't mean that what you were selling was trash. (Isn't that so arrogant of me? To assume that? Oh well, I won't anymore.) We got a lot of kitchen stuff in the market and then stopped at Woolworths which was good because now I have a towel.

We dropped our purchases off at the hotel and then made our way to Spitalfields which was phenomenal. I want so many things that I can't afford! Mommy did an excellent job of haggling and ended up with three new pashmina scarves. (The seller was charming and towards the end of our haggling started giving Mommy the price written out on the screen of his cell phone rather than aloud. He was very good at his job.) We didn't have quite what he asked for in cash, so we handed him everything we had left and he didn't take it all (he gave us back two or three pounds) which, as Mommy says, was "the most charming part." She's holding one of the scarves up right now, and she's right; it is "glorious."

What did we do next? I have no memory...oh! We went to the Museum of London! I was suprised (again) to see so many human skulls. I guess the Britons used to throw skulls into the Thames for ceremonial reasons (they think) which means that archaeologists have found all sorts of skulls, but not many complete skeletons. They have interesting room reconstructions there, but what really got to me was the tribute book to the people who died in the tube bombing in 2005. Each of the 56 people who died got a five or six page section filled with pieces written by friends and family and filled with pictures. I kept trying not to cry (it was in the middle of a museum after all.) There was a very palpable sense of "this could have happened to any of us." Which feels like a good sentiment. Mommy pointed out that there was no information about who the attacks were carried out by, no advertising for them at all- just a very sweet, very personal memorial.

Then we came back to the hotel and I passed out for five hours. School starts tomorrow, I'm not really sure when, but I figure I'll wake up early and take it from there. I seriously doubt there is anything I need to do before 9am. (And by seriously doubt, I mean when I called all the time this summer I wouldn't get ahold of anyone before 9:30am and even then was usually their first call for the day "hold on a sec' while I get my computer on...")

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get some bed linen? And did you manage to pack your down comforter?? Wish I could have been there as a small mouse!
MM

Casitareina said...

I brought bed linen with me, which was a stroke of brilliance if I do say so myself- and your bag was so helpful with the comforter! I'm sending it back with Mommy, so you should have it again soon.

But would you really want to be a mouse? You'd have such a speedy heart beat...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see there is a Giraffe restaurant in Spitalfields, though it is probably too expensive to eat at regularly.
http://www.spitalfields.co.uk/eating_giraffe.php

It is hard for me to comprehend Spitalfields, because when I lived there it had just been closed down as a meat market and was all boarded up. Then again, Covent Garden was all boarded up too, and they were trying to decide what to do. It was a long time ago.

Anonymous said...

Spitalfields is way fancier now than it was even 3 years ago. Very crowded with the "in-crowd" and upscale restaurants. still some space for interesting booths, however. (especially the scarves!)