Sunday, September 30, 2007

Why is everything in German?!

Actually- not everything is in German, just the little notes that more specifically explain certain buttons on Blogger. To be fair, it isn't like I have bothered yet to check on my language settings that may have inadvertantly been changed. (Though you'd think that if they had tabs such as "Settings" and "View Blog" would also be in German...)

Whatever, the point of this entry is that my father tells me that I am not writing enough. Okay then. In that case I will tell him all about my night.

The bed squeaks in an alarming way when you toss and turn, which I was because the "Oh my god I'm living in London" bit has started to hit me. I completely missed the move in day party at the basement pub because it took so long for us to get a taxi (oops, Saturday night- didn't think about that part.) and so by the time we had dropped my luggage off at Sundial Court it was around 9:30. Keeping in mind that The City is basically the financial district there was *nothing* open to eat at. So we walked towards the Old Street stop on the Northern line and and eventually ate at the first place we found: a fancy Indian resaurant that had seven servers standing around and absolutely no customers. We ate there anyway because beggars can't be choosers and proceeded to have the best biryani ever. (Seafood Sofyani Biryani to be specific, Mommy picked up the menu.) However, I found it very unnerving having all these people standing around watching us eat. No one else even stopped by while we were there. I hope they do a booming lunch trade during the week or else this is a serious case of failing to follow the "location, location, location" adage.

Getting back to the sleeping story. Remember how yesterday we slept until noon? Well today I was supposed meet Mommy at the hotel by 10:30 so that we could go to Spitalfields. I woke up at five, I think. (I don't have a clock.) It was definitely still dark out and was for a couple of hours after I finally got out of bed as well. I finished unpacking everything, read a portion of "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston (Or, in German "Heilige Orte erschaffen mit Feng Shui. Ein Anleitungsbuch") I highly reccomend this book, even if you have a really low tolerance for New Age-y things. She has a lot of helpful and good suggestions and advice and you can easily ignore the stuff that doesn't sit well with you. So I read that, played with my sink (Everything is so short! The top of the sink hits *maybe* my mid-thigh. Short!), fiddled with my furniture, and eventually gave up when it got light out and decided that if I was up probably so was Mommy so I hopped on the tube and now am at the hotel.

I feel a little bit bad that I haven't already spent more time bonding with my flat mates and meeting other people, but it is only the second day and I will be living with these people for at least three months, so it is probably all okay, right? In anycase- it is. Mommy and I are now going to scout for breakfast even though it is Sunday and nothing opens until at least 11:00am. (The hotel restaurant is open, but their prices are ridiculous. The english breakfast costs 10 pounds, we got a better sounding one yesterday for 3.50, including the tea.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you will be multilingual by the time you get your degree. Keep up the good work. love G&G

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel SO sorry for you: beggars with seven staff standing around to make certain that your plate is kept full!

Actually, I do feel a little sorry for you. Wandering around a closed section of a city is no fun. Good thing London has a mass-transit system.

Love you!
Pop

laine said...

don't even worry about getting to know your flatmates--it'll happen. and yeah, it's your SECOND day.